Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Thai Lao Black Sticky Rice

Thai Lao Black Sticky Rice is also known as "Khao Gum". Some people call it "purple sticky rice" or "wild sticky rice". Black sticky rice is usually made into dessert or eaten as a main meal. You can also use black sticky rice to make Khao Dome which is coconut sticky rice wrapped in banana leaf.

Make sure, when purchasing black sticky rice, that the label reads "Glutinous" and that it is a product of Thailand. The method of cooking black sticky rice and white sticky rice is the same...by using a bamboo steaming basket and steaming pot. Black sticky rice will stain the bamboo basket and your hands. Do not wash the bamboo basket with soap. The stain will naturally fade over time.

Instructions on how to cook Black Sticky Rice:
Mix black sticky rice with white sticky rice. For one cup of black sticky rice, add two cups of white sticky rice. Soak over night. Steam for 40 minutes.

I have posted Khao Sung Ga Ya which is black sticky rice with coconut custard dessert.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work Manivan!

We found that we could also buy some of the rice here (gawd only knows who else uses it!), and the A-Team were quick on the steamer!.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have tried cooking white sweet rice for dessert. It is a Filipino dish called "BIKO." You can find recipes of this dessert on the web.

The sweet rice is cooked in a rice cooker which is different from steaming, like what you have in your post.

I wonder if one can cook black sweet rice in a rice cooker and come out with the same result as what you have in your recipe.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

My Filipano friends say that they use sticky rice for desserts only. I have not tried cooking black and white sticky rice in a rice cooker. Let me know how it turns out.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Diana, Mayor of Quirkyville said...

My son LOVES the purple sticky rice we purchase at our local Lao restaurant (Rice Palace in Milwaukee, WI). I would like to start sending purple sticky rice in his lunch...but I don't have a bamboo steamer. I'm right across the street from a Filipino market...what all do I need to purchase?
1. white sticky rice
2.purple (or black) rice - make sure it says glutinous
3. what kind of bamboo steamer do I look for, what are my choices if they don't have the kind you show on your video
4. what kind of pot do I need at home. I have a 4 qt. pot and 8qt...both with straight up and down edges (not like yours)
Can I do this successfully? Love your site.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

My mom has successfully found a way to cook without the traditional steamer Thai and Lao bamboo basket. Use a stainless steel steamer, that goes over top of a pot. (it's the same steamer set for steaming vetegables) Place a clothe over the steamer to prevent the rice from falling through into the boiling water. The pot should be big enough to steam water for at least 45 minutes without drying. As long as you soak the black and white sticky rice over night before steaming, you will be successful.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can also steam the sticky rice in a glass bowl placed in a steamer pan-works great of course the fragrance and taste of the bamboo cone steamer is awesome.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Diana, Mayor of Quirkyville said...

we ended up craving it too much before we got around to making it...so we went to our local Thai Lao restaurant in Milwaukee, WI
www.youtube.com/diana4milo

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need some black glutinous sticky rice. Does anyone know of any stores in Chicago Illinois that I can get it at?

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to Thailand every summer, and I love sticky rice. Since I can't walk to the corner and buy it for 15 cents, I have had to learn to make it. I have successfully used my rice cooker to STEAM sticky rice. If you put it in water and let it boil as you do regular rice, it turns into a glutinous soup. In fact, friends of mine who are Thai and teachers say it works wonderfully when they run out of paste! I use my steamer with the steam basket in. Put rice in a "pog" (it's a sort of bag for the purpose) or in a clean white hankie. Wrap it up, and steam it. If you use a steamer basket, be sure you wrap your rice up, or it will stick (like glue) to the basket.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com