Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Monday, March 20, 2006

Green Papaya Salad

The most popular salad dishes is the Green Papaya salad. I like it spicy--5 chilies at least! On the first bite your tongue should experience extreme heat, salt, sour and sweet all at once. It is invigrating! If its too spicy chew on water lily greens

To make green papaya noodle salad: Double the amount of fish sauce, shrimp paste, lime, sugar and dried shrimp in the mortar. Dish the green papaya salad into a bowl and toss with sin khao bune (rice noodle) before serving. Watch the video of the long bean noodle salad recipe to see how to incorporate the rice noodles.

Salad Recipe: Green Papaya Salad1-4 chilies
1 garlic cloves
3 cups shredded green papaya (watch video: Shredding Green Papaya)
1/2 cup sliced tomatoes
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon shrimp paste
3 tablespoons squeezed lime
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons dried shrimp (optional)

Using the Thai / Lao Mortar & Pestle Set, crush chilies and garlic until they are separated. Add the rest of the ingredients in the mortar. Using the pestle to crush and a tablespoon to stir, mix all the ingredients in the mortar. When the sugar and shrimp paste are dissolved the papaya salad is ready to be served.

The Thai & Lao Food video shows the traditional method. Some Thai / Lao restaurants toss all the ingredients into a large bowl. In my opinion, for an authentic texture, the tomatoes need to be crushed in a Thai / Lao Mortar & Pestle Set.



Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this video...my daughter is half Lao half caucasian...her father used to make this and I had forgotten how to do it...I have been trying to remember for years now hoe to make this so thank you!!

paz
J

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so I'm a whitey and I LOVE THIS SALAD!!! my friend Sommany would make this for me and she would put peanuts in with and some noodles. Then we would eat it with pork rinds. I've heard that the way you are shredding the papaya is called PHUKING. LOL I couldn't believe my ears! I know that's not what it means. I watched a bunch of youtube vids on how to make, but this is by far the best and easiest to understand.Also thank you for the written instructions, as I haven't seen those anywhere else as well. This is the best!!!! TASTES SOOO GOOD! (no shrimp for me)

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I noticed that your recipe doesn't include "Pah Dak". I would love to know a recipe that includes Pah Dak and maybe even the tiny crabs.. I am Laotian, fluent, but never learned to cook before my mother passed away.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

The long bean noodle salad and the cucumber salad recipes have the ba dek and the crab paste ingredients. My favourite version of the papaya salad is with shrimp paste, crab paste, and pa dek. The best way to get started on Lao cooking is to get my 2 sets of Thai and Lao cooking dvds.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know how to make klan fen or the flour dough cubes that are mixed with limestone and spicey soup. Its a cold dish

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the video demonstration. The recipe is fantastic

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Sabrina Noravong said...

Thank you so much for your recipes. My husband is Lao and I am Italian so I know nothing about how to cook Lao. I purchased on of your books but I think one of my kids may have thrown it away or put it in the recycling bin. It's ok though because your website is great and has good enough information. Thanks again for making my life a lot easier and making my husband happy.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous HS3MIB said...

good Archive Thank you for this video

9:46 AM  
Anonymous shaina souvanavethi said...

Im half lao n white...and i know for a fact that phuckin means chopping the beef up. they do that in my favorite dish called larb maybe it means chopping or cutting. i love this salad tho. i highly recommend this to anybody whon loves spicy food...try spicy larb with sticky rice and my favorite soup phu pronounced fuh.....i love my culture and its unique foods to the fullest. and im pretty sure the phu has ba dak or w.e in it also

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your recipes. My friend used to make me this salad, but she skipped the fish sauce by using apple cider vinegar, because I am allergic. Do you know what will be the right proportion for the dressing?

4:10 PM  
Anonymous chicken lover said...

nice recipes

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com